Surah Maryam (Mary) 19 : 58
|Click word/image to view Qur'an Dictionary|
(were) the ones whom
Allah bestowed favor
Allah bestowed favor
and We chose
(of) the Most Gracious
1. Lessons/Guidance/Reflections/Gems[ edit ]
The sūrah mentions all these prophets in order to compare them, a group of God- fearing believers, with later generations of pagan Arabs and unbelieving Israelites. The gulf separating the two is vast. There is nothing to bring the newcomers close to their ancestors.
In this scene of the role of prophethood in human history, we see only the main features delineated: of the seed of Adam,’ and of those whom We carried in the ark with Noah,’ and also ‘of the seed of Abraham and Israel.’ Adam’s seed includes all, and Noah refers to all who came after him, while Abraham combines the two major branches of prophethood: Jacob as the head of the Israelite tree and Ishmael to whom the Arabs belong and from among whom came the last of all prophets.
2. Linguistic Analysis[ edit ]
(19:58) is the longest Ayat of this Surah with 29 words and this is also an Ayat of prostration,
أُولَـٰئِكَ الَّذِينَ أَنْعَمَ اللَّـهُ عَلَيْهِم مِّنَ النَّبِيِّينَ مِن ذُرِّيَّةِ آدَمَ وَمِمَّنْ حَمَلْنَا مَعَ نُوحٍ وَمِن ذُرِّيَّةِ إِبْرَاهِيمَ وَإِسْرَائِيلَ وَمِمَّنْ هَدَيْنَا وَاجْتَبَيْنَا ۚ إِذَا تُتْلَىٰ عَلَيْهِمْ آيَاتُ الرَّحْمَـٰنِ خَرُّوا سُجَّدًا وَبُكِيًّا "Those were the ones upon whom Allah bestowed favor from among the prophets of the descendants of Adam and of those We carried [in the ship] with Noah, and of the descendants of Abraham and Israel, and of those whom We guided and chose. When the verses of the Most Merciful were recited to them, they fell in prostration and weeping." (19:58)
4. Miscellaneous Information[ edit ]
5. Connected/Related Ayat[ edit ]
6. Frequency of the word[ edit ]
7. Period of Revelation[ edit ]
It was revealed before the first migration to Abyssinia. We learn from an authentic hadith that Ja’afar (a companion of the Prophet) recited v. 1-40 of this Surah to the court of the Negus when the Muslims had been summoned.
8. Reasons for Revelation[ edit ]
9. Relevant Hadith[ edit ]
- رأَيْتُ رسولَ اللهِ صلَّى اللهُ عليه وسلَّم يُصلِّي وفي صدرِه أزيزٌ كأزيزِ المِرجَلِمِن البكاءِ “One of the Companions said, “I saw the Messenger of Allah [saw] and he was praying - his chest sounded like boiling water due to [him] crying.” [Ibn Hibban no. 753 - صحيح [Sahih]