Surah Maryam (Mary) 19 : 28
1. Lessons/Guidance/Reflections/Gems[ edit ]
They call her: ‘Sister of Aaron!’ Aaron was a prophet who was in charge of the Temple, passing this duty to his offspring. Mary was often associated with Aaron because of her exemplary devotion in the service of the Temple. How ironic that the girl associated with Aaron’s perfect devotion should perpetrate such an enormity: “Your father was not a wicked man, nor was your mother a loose woman!” (Verse 28) Such a sin is only committed by loose women and prostitutes.
2. Linguistic Analysis[ edit ]
4. Miscellaneous Information[ edit ]
5. Connected/Related Ayat[ edit ]
6. Frequency of the word[ edit ]
7. Period of Revelation[ edit ]
It was revealed before the first migration to Abyssinia. We learn from an authentic hadith that Ja’afar (a companion of the Prophet) recited v. 1-40 of this Surah to the court of the Negus when the Muslims had been summoned.
8. Reasons for Revelation[ edit ]
9. Relevant Hadith[ edit ]
- The Companion, al-Mugheerah bin Shu’bah said, “The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) sent me to Najran [area of the Christians]. They said to me: 'Do you people not recite: O sister of Harun (19:28) - while between Moses and Jesus there is such (gap) as there is?' I did not know how to respond to them. So when I returned to the Prophet (ﷺ), I told him about that, and he said: 'Why didn't you tell them that they were named after their Prophets and righteous people before them.' [Tirmidhee no.3155]